East Central students earned 15 awards in the Mississippi Press Association’s Better Newspaper Contest in the Community and Junior College Division, including second place in the general excellence award, the top award granted for student newspapers in the community college division for the state.
The Tom-Tom also received two first place, five additional second place, five third place and two honorable mention awards in the competition. In the Better Newspaper Competition, members of The Tom-Tom staff earned the following awards:
· A first place finish for May 2013 graduate Jessica Barnett of Forest and sophomore Conor Bell or Carthage, Best Spot News or Investigative Package;
· A first place award for Opinions Editor Will Stoke of Philadelphia, Best General Interest Column;
· Bell was recognized with a second place award for Best General Interest Column;
· A second place finish for May 2013 graduate and former Tom-Tom editor Addreonna Seger of Lawrence, Best Feature Story;
· Sophomore Design Editor Payton Smith of Forest was awarded a second place award for Best Layout & Design;
· A third place finish for sophomore Claire Griffin of Decatur, Best Cartoon;
· Sophomore Candice Stewart of Morton was recognized with a third place award for Best Feature Photograph;
· A third place award for May 2013 graduate Emily Marler of Morton for Best Sports Feature;
· Honorable mention awards for Barnett, Best Spot Photograph and Best Sports Feature.
· The Tom-Tom staff also received two additional second place honors for Best Single Advertisement and Best Front Page and two third place honors for Best Single Advertisement and Best Web site.
The Tom-Tom is a student-led newspaper representative of the student body of East Central Community College in Decatur. The staff is led by Madison Herrington of Union, editor; Stokes, opinions editor; Smith, design editor and Griffin, cartoonist. ECCC Publications Coordinator Gennie Phillips of Forest serves as adviser.