What types of band are offered at East Central?

east central community college wall osound band The East Central band program consists of the following groups:
  • The WALL O' SOUND Marching Band, which meets in the fall and performs at all home football games.
  • The Symphonic Band, which meets in the spring.
  • The Jazz Band, which meets in the spring.
  • The Mallet Ensemble, which meets in the spring.
  • The Percussion Ensemble, which meets in the spring.
  • The Basketball Pep Band, which meets in the fall and spring and performs at all home basketball games.
  • The Collegians, the school rock band, which meets in the fall and spring and performs on campus and at area events.

How do I become a member of the band program?

east central community college wall osound bandTo become a member of the WALL O' SOUND horn line or concert band, senior band students or transfer student will perform an audition with Mr. Corhern or Mr. Girling.  The audition will consist of major scales (G, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, or Gb), chromatic scale, and sight reading.  If a senior band student participates in the ECCC Band Clinic, the ECMBDA District Band Clinic, or makes the Mississippi Lions All-State Band, he or she will not have to audition.  The audition is not to make the band but to determine chair placement.  

If you are interested in an auxiliary group in the WALL O' SOUND (Drum Major,  Color Guard, Centralette, or Drum line/ Front ensemble), there will be audition dates for each group during the spring semester.  Dates are posted on the main site. Centralette auditions are open to band students or other students with a dance or performance background.  This includes cheerleaders and dance team members.

The Collegians hold auditions at the beginning of the fall semester for the year.  You must be an enrolled student at ECCC to audition as a member of the Collegians.

Does East Central offer band scholarships?

All members of the band program receive a scholarship for their participation at East Central on the condition that they be a full-time student (completing twelve hours each semester) in good standing and currently registered in a band course.  The typical band scholarship is a tuition scholarship ($990 for the 2014-2015 school year) that is stackable with other on-campus scholarships with the exception of the "Guaranteed Tuition" Scholarship. 

For students only participating in the marching band, they will receive one semester of scholarship. Students who choose to only participate in band in the spring will not receive a band scholarship.

In addition, students who serve as auxiliary leaders (Drum Major, Guard/ Drum Line Captain) receive an additional half tuition scholarship for the fall semester ($495 for the 2014-2015 school year). Jazz Band and Percussion Ensemble members also receive a half tuition scholarship in the spring.

Any student who makes 1st chair, 1st band at the ECCC Band Clinic will receive a stackable half tuition scholarship along with their full tuition band scholarship each semester they are enrolled in band at East Central.

Any student who is a member of the Mississippi Lions All-State Band will receive tuition, room, and board each semester they are enrolled in band at East Central.

Am I allowed to receive other scholarships or grants?

east central community college wall osound bandStudents may receive additional scholarships or grants as long as the total amount in scholarship does not exceed the published cost of tuition, room and board, and textbooks. Please contact Student Services if you have further questions on scholarships at 601-635-6204.

Will I be able to participate in the WALL O' SOUND and in my vocational program at the same time?

This depends on the extent of the vocational program. We make every effort to accommodate our band students who are seeking vocational careers. However, students must attend all rehearsals to receive the band scholarship. Check with your vocational counselor to see if the schedule will allow you to participate.

What is the time commitment for band?

east central community college wall osound bandAll WALL O' SOUND band students must attend the WARRIOR BAND CAMP, which is usually the week before school starts.  This will be an all-day camp that runs from Sunday through Saturday.

Marching band meets in the fall from 3:50 to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. 

All dates for the year will be given out during the summer so that band members can make plans and work arrangements.  Because you receive scholarship, you should consider band a high priority. 

In the spring semester:

  • Symphonic Band meets on Monday and Wednesday from 3:50 to 5:30 p.m.
  • Basketball Pep Band meets on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:50 to 5:30 p.m.
  • Jazz Band meets on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:50 to 5:30 p.m.
  • Mallet Ensemble meets on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 12:00 to 12:50 p.m.
  • Percussion Ensemble meets on Monday and Friday from 1:00 to 1:50 p.m.
  • The Collegians rehearse on Tuesday evenings year-round from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.

How often does the WALL O' SOUND perform? 

east central community college wall osound bandThe WALL O' SOUND performs at all home football games at East Central. Most games are Thursday evenings though there may be Saturday games. The WALL O' SOUND also will send pep bands to away games as well as one full band trip.

The WALL O' SOUND also performs annually at the Chunky River Marching Classic in Union, Mississippi. The WALL O' SOUND also marches in the Decatur Christmas Parade
and other Christmas parades in the five-county district.

What if I graduate from a school without a band or play a non-traditional band instrument?  Can I still be in band?

If you have been in a band in the past but now attend a school without a band, we will meet with you personally to discuss your involvement and your ability level.  You can ask your former band director to speak on your behalf as a performer.

If you play piano, you can earn a band scholarship by audition! If you are a "rocker" (guitar, bass guitar, drum set), you can earn a band scholarship by audition!  Please contact us directly and we will see how we can fit you in! The ability to read sheet music (not just tablature) is highly preferred.

Does the WALL O' SOUND compete in competitions?

Unlike high school bands, which typically perform in a competition setting, the WALL O' SOUND performs for entertainment purposes.  Its members enjoy performing for the sake of fun and putting on a great show! 

Is there a band fee?

As of today, there is no band fee for participating! Most supplies are provided for band students, including reeds, oils, etc. Students should expect to maintain any school-issued equipment, uniforms, or instruments as well as their own personal instruments for optimal performance.

Why should I be in the WALL O' SOUND?

The WALL O' SOUND is the largest student organization at ECCC.  Its members enjoy performing and working together as a team, entertaining and exciting the student body and fans at games, pep rallies, and at other campus events.  Besides playing great music, members get to make new friends and travel together. The bonds of friendship developed at East Central will carry with you long after you finish college! 

Who knows: you might just meet that special someone while performing with the WALL O' SOUND! 

What better reason do you need?

east central community college wall osound band